Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Another daffinition


I was listening to the "Once" soundtrack this morning and I remembered the quaint Irish word "foaking" (pronounced with a long O and silent A) which generally means the same as that Utah word "frickin' ". As in "Are you out of your foaking mind?" which would translate in Utahan as "Are you out of your frickin' mind?" Last Christmas Allie and I watched "Once" and counted over fifty uses of the superlative "foaking" used by almost every character in the movie.

The same word is used in British English as well, but the accent is a little different in England and Scotland and Wales. Some have an "AW" vowel sound and other slur toward a "OO" vowel sound and some even slur into a short U vowel sound, which creates a word that sounds suspiciously vulgar to the American ear.

So basically what I'm saying is that "Foak" is great, huge, silly, more, asinine, rude, super, and possibly a tad vulgar to the American ear. - A lot like me.

2 comments:

Caitlin/Landy/Calrissian said...

I didn't know you had a blog! and I really like this one. it made me laugh a lot.

Allie Hite said...

I remember that viewing...it really sounded like the "f" word to me...Thanks though for remembering me. It was traumatizing.